Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #3430 |

I have don a lot of pen and ink illustration over the years. And I am well acquainted with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Lightroom. However, I am ready to try my hand at 3d animation. I have checked out several the websites and I am confused. I cannot figure out what “comes in the box” for either DAZ Studio or Poser 2014. Without add-ons, what can actually be done with these programs? Do I have to buy rigged figures, and clothing, and various poses? I will really appreciate your input.

Zeddicuss
    Keymaster

Hi Gary,

Firstly I think it’s a great choice getting involved in 3D. For us creative people, it can be a lot of fun and very addictive.

With either program, you get a few bits and pieces out of the box in terms of content, but sooner or later there is no doubt you will be wanting to add to that in some way if you find it’s a hobby you enjoy.

With Poser, you get a range of free figures and some clothing for them. I don’t think the free content is as widely used as some of the paid figures which in my opinion, render slightly better. Actually, I would guess a large portion of Poser users probably make use of the slightly dated Victoria 4 and Michael 4 figures, which you can still purchase from Daz3D. They probably have more 3D content for them available (free and premium) than all of the other figures combined. Content is still being made for them so whatever you want, it’s probably out there.

That brings me on to Daz Studio, which in my opinion, has the more realistic render engine of the two. Daz3D are producing the most realistic characters based on the Genesis 3 Female and Male base figures. Daz Studio is actually free and the base figures are free as well. You only start paying for content when you feel you want a specific type of clothing, a specific type of Hair, a specific character Pose or a 3D Scene etc. So it can be a nice place to start as you literately get the software and the base figures for free, then if you feel like it’s a hobby that really interests you, you can decide later if you want to buy nice little extras to improve and add variety to your artwork.

Personally, I think for a beginner those reasons make Daz Studio more approachable. However, there are great tutorials out there for both programs and I am sure you will have fun, whichever you decide to start with.

In terms of actual functionality, really both programs are fully complete in terms of not needing premium addons, they both have built in render engines and such. It’s really all based around the content and that’s typically where people spend money after getting the initial program.

For example, my vendor name is Zeddicuss and I sell a variety of high quality 3D content at both Renderosity and Daz3D. I currently sell Poses, Expressions, Hand Poses, Smart Props, Scene Props and Scenes and some Clothing items. All of which can be very useful and help 3D artists enrich their artwork.

Technically you can go and download a free 3D Modeling program (such as Blender) and make your own props, but it’s a skill that takes some learning and practise and significantly more so to make them to a premium standard. So I guess from that point of view, you don’t actually need to buy any of those things. It’s just for the most part, people do buy them as it’s a skill on it’s own to create that type of content.

I hope that clears things up for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I will try my best to help πŸ™‚

Of course this is all my opinion πŸ™‚

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.